I tried to come up with thirteen and failed. Then, I dropped it to ten and, lo and behold, I kept going. Weird. So . . .
Thirteen Great Reasons to Read:
1. To learn new things.
2. You can travel without leaving home.
3. It's addictive, yes, but not in a bad way like alcohol or caffeine.
4. Reading doesn't cause cancer.
5. Because you can.
6. Unless you read outdoors, you're probably not going to stir up a lot of pollen reading so it won't make you sneeze.
7. It's a great excuse to curl up with a pet.
8. It keeps the old brain neurons popping (as opposed to drugs, which kill them).
9. Time spent waiting in lines, riding trains, or sitting in doctor's offices becomes enjoyable and productive.
10. Reading builds muscle. Eye muscle, that is.
11. You can do it just about anywhere.
12. It's a great way to escape from everyday life.
13. Books are calorie free.
What other reasons can you think of to read?