Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday Malarkey - Oops, she did it again

The old "went into a bookstore and didn't come out empty-handed" problem has repeated itself after only a week. We returned to Oxford to help out our youngest son a bit more, you see. Seriously, Oxford is a dangerous place for a booklover. I also purchased a recent release after hearing someone gush about it, so the bookish atmosphere of a university town can't entirely be blamed for my weakness.

New arrivals, top to bottom:

  • Sinking of the Titanic: Eyewitness Accounts, ed. by Jay Henry Mowbray
  • A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler (the fellow at Off-Square Books was extremely enthusiastic about this volume of short stories)
  • The Rest is Jungle by Mario Benedetti
  • Yesterday's Weather by Anne Enright
  • The Flying Circus by Susan Crandall

Posts since last week's malarkey:

Books finished last week:

  • Brutal Youth by Anthony Breznican - A reread and the only book I finished. I liked it even better the second time. 

Currently reading:

  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (for F2F discussion)
  • Dear Mrs. Roosevelt: Letters from Children of the Great Depression, ed. by Robert Cohen - This one made my heart hurt; I put it aside after one night's reading and will maybe take the next readings in smaller pieces.

In other news:

You might have noticed I changed my template. I'm still working on it. I'd like to change the header but I'm not certain what exactly I want in a fresh header, so I'm giving that some thought. I've also spent a little time streamlining the sidebar (aka, deleting superfluous stickers and links -- I'll keep removing items till I'm satisfied). The decision to update was a spur-of-the-moment thing, although I've been tired of the hummingbird template for a while. What do you think of it, so far?

©2015 Nancy Horner. All rights reserved. If you are reading this post at a site other than Bookfoolery  or its RSS feed, you are reading a stolen feed. Email for written permission to reproduce text or photos.


  1. I'm not sure about the header. The photo is too dark for the tagline to be read clearly, but I like that you're cleaning up the sidebar. When I had a blog design similar to this, I tried to limit my sidebar to about 10 widgets and also no blogroll. That's what worked for me, but then again I'm a minimalist at heart.

    I didn't comment before, but I like that you're doing a Neverwhere readalong. I might join although I've read it before. It was one of my favorite of Gaiman's.

    Oh, the font, I'd make the font a bit larger too. I use as a minimum 16 point. It might also be that I'm getting older.

    1. Yes, the header text should be easily altered but at the time I just decided, "OK, I'm going with this one and I'll fine-tune it, later." I'm not sure how to go about altering the text size but I would definitely like to do that. I have one eye that is going wonky (and my eyes are getting older, anyway) and I just can't seem to get anything to the point that I can comfortably read it without a little eye strain at the end of the day. Maybe time to visit the eye doctor.

      Excellent! I would love it if you join in on the readalong! I should climb a ladder and see if I can find my copy, come to think of it. I'm glad to hear Neverwhere is a favorite of yours. I'm iffy about Gaiman. I've loved several of his books but a couple fell completely flat for me.

  2. It's too true. My husband suggested I just go window shopping at the bookstore. I'm still laughing and he doesn't know why.
    I like the new look.

    1. Haha, window shopping for books. *snort* As if.

      Thanks! I'm still fine-tuning things and pondering that header. :)


Thank you for visiting my blog! I use comment moderation because apparently my blog is a spam magnet. Don't worry. If you're not a robot, your comment will eventually show up and I will respond, with a few exceptions. If a comment smacks of advertising, contains a dubious link or is offensive, it will be deleted. I love to hear from real people! I'm a really chatty gal and I love your comments!