103. Spy x Family, Volume 14 by Tatsuya Endo - I got the 16th volume of Spy x Family in the mail so I figured I probably ought to read at least one of the three that are sitting unread. In Volume 14, Anya gets her final test scores and rankings (she was studying for the tests in Volume 13) and there are a couple of surprises. Much of the rest of the book has to do with two stories: headmaster Henry Henderson's early romance that explains why he didn't marry the love of his life and Anya's preparation for a school dance and then the dance itself. I liked both storylines. It's interesting to read the headmaster's backstory and Anya is always fun because she can read minds but often doesn't understand the context of what she's hearing, which is quite funny. I love this series.
104. One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia - It's 1968. Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern are on their way from Brooklyn, New York to Oakland, California for a month. Their mother, Celine, ran away when Fern was a baby and now they're 11, 9, and 7. They're being sent because Celine hasn't come back for a visit but her father and grandmother think the children need to get to know their mother. In California, they find that Celine is a poet and activist. She has no interest in mothering, doesn't cook, and wants the kids to stay out of the house all day. So, she sends them to the community center for free breakfast and summer camp (run by the Black Panthers and teaching about the Black Power movement) and they have to buy supper at the local Chinese restaurant. Delphine is in charge and she's doing the best she can but all three children would prefer a little mothering. But, gradually, the three girls learn about revolution, find friends, and fend for themselves during the daytime. Will their mother ever soften up and at least give them a hug? Or, will they just have to hold on and hope summer ends quickly? A wonderful, middle grade historical fiction title that's won a slew of awards and deserves them, in my humble opinion. Highly recommended. I thought the author particularly did a great job of making the reader understand that the Black Panthers were not just gun-toting radicals but heavily into community programs.
105. The Calamity Club by Kathryn Stockett - In 1933, Meg LeFleur is living in an orphanage in Oxford, Mississippi after her mother went shopping and never returned. Garnett runs the orphanage and she hates Meg so much that she won't even let her attend school, calls her filthy, and keeps her separated from the other children during the daytime. Birdie is a bookkeeper in a small town in the Delta and her family needs money. Her sister. Frances, has married well but hasn't communicated with her family lately, so Birdie's mother encourages her to go spend some time with Frances (and ask for money) using the excuse that they want to check up on her since she hasn't written home. Instead, Birdie discovers that Frances's married family, the Tartts, are in trouble as well, and she also meets Meg while volunteering to update the books at "the Orphan" while Frances helps out with the toddlers. When Birdie realizes there's no way she's getting help from the Tartts, she comes up with a dangerous plan. This is the book that finally broke the audiobook spell for me, mostly because I found it more palatable to listen to the audio at high speed while I was doing chores rather than exhausting my eyeballs. It's way too long; it could easily be half the length, it rambles so much. But, the story is good if you can tolerate the length. I gave it a 3.5/5 and immediately checked out another audiobook. We'll see if the audio spell was broken permanently or The Calamity Club was just a fluke. UPDATE: It appears to have been a fluke. Le sigh.
106. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke - I saw the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey in a freezing theater (the heater was not working) as a child and mostly what I remember is shivering in my winter coat, breathing fog, totally baffled. I had no idea what the movie was about. Since then, I have always wanted to read the novel and I watched for a cheap copy at library sales for literal decades with no luck. Finally, I decided to just go ahead and buy a copy, last month. Beginning with prehistoric man, 2001 tells the story of how a monolith affects the ape men, then leaps forward to the year 2001, when it follows a man named Heywood Floyd to the moon. There, another monolith has been buried for millions of years. Next, we follow two astronauts (three more are in hibernation) who are on their way to Saturn. But, the real objective is to look for the source of the monolith. David Bowman is the only astronaut left after the Artificial Intelligence known as Hal malfunctions. And, he knows he is unlikely to return to Earth alive. What is the source of the monoliths and what will happen to Dave when he finds it? Classic. A fantastic story. I'm so glad I finally bought a copy. We followed up my reading with a viewing of the movie, which we still own on DVD. It's a visual feast, pretty impressive for 1969 (but I like the book better).
107. The Long Walk by Stephen King - Published in 1979 under the name Richard Bachman, The Long Walk is set in a dystopian world in which there's an annual competition. 100 young men walk as far as they can without bathroom or sleep breaks, eating from food on belts and drinking from canteens as they walk. Only one person can win the competition and they have to keep a pace of 4 mph . . . or else (that's where it gets dark). Ray Garraty is the main character. As Garraty walks, he makes friends, goes through phases of fear and determination, and thinks about his mother and his girlfriend, Jan. The most interesting thing about this story, to me, is the psychological implications. At the beginning, most everyone is cheerful except for a couple of people who are just nasty. But, fatigue turns most of them mean or catatonic, at least briefly. It's pretty predictable who will win and yet, still, you feel the tension. I read The Long Walk for two separate challenges. The prompts were: "A book about a race or competition" and "A book about a journey." A good read with slowly building horror, slightly disgusting and/or gruesome at times but I thought the horror aspect was more about psychology (fear, camaraderie, grief, etc.) than about gore.
108. The Hurting Kind by Ada Limón - This volume of poetry is described by the publisher as, "A collection of interconnected poems exploring the relationships between humans and the natural world, as well as the complexities of family and loss." What she means by being one of "the hurting kind" in the title poem is that she's sensitive, easily brought to tears. I could relate to that and loved that particular poem. For the most part, I would describe the book as a very accessible volume of poetry by a person who clearly grew up in a supportive and loving environment and has that same fascination and adoration of nature that you see in Mary Oliver's work. She writes beautifully of relationships, as well. It's definitely a keeper.
109. The Doubtful Guest by Edward Gorey - A strange creature has arrived at a posh family's door. They don't know what it is or why it's there. It doesn't speak. It just makes itself at home and also makes a nuisance of itself. But, 17 years go by and it's not showing any sign of leaving. A strange and wondrous little book about acceptance, with Edward Gorey's delightful illustrations. An oddly beautiful and funny story. I bought this book after I made the mistake of reading a thread about children's books that moved people. Um . . . I might have bought half a dozen? I occasionally crave children's reads, so I have no regrets. The Doubtful Guest is the kind of book you cling to and put face-outward on the shelf. I love it. I'll reread it but without bothering to record it at Goodreads or elsewhere upon future readings.
110. Horrible Histories: Savage Stone Age by Terry Deary and Martin Brown - I have a boxed set of the Horrible Histories and have only read this one. But, I needed a book about prehistoric times for one of the challenges I'm casually observing (maybe with a bit more obsession as we head toward the end of the year). Savage Stone Age tells about the various stages of prehistoric man, when we came into being, how scientists measure the age of bones and tools, where discoveries have been made and how (discoveries of cave art are always interesting), and what we know about stone circles. The latter was my favorite part as the author described Avebury Stone Circle and Silbury Hill. We've been to Avebury several times and always had fun. I knew the stories, like that of the traveling barber found beneath a stone, but I thought the story was brought to life very nicely. The Horrible Histories are deliberately silly but I enjoyed Savage Stone Age more on the second reading because I knew what to expect, so now I intend to carry on.
111. Sophie's Masterpiece by Eileen Spinelli and Jane Dyer - Sophie is a spider but she's also an artist. She weaves beautiful art in her webs. But, all people can see is a spider; they ignore her art entirely. She tries to improve lives with her weaving and keeps getting thrown out. When she ends up in a knitting basket and realizes that the expectant mother nearby has run out of yarn to make her baby a blanket, Sophie knows that weaving a blanket is the last thing she will accomplish. I thought this was an interesting story, actually the book that started the thread about children's books that are moving and/or make people cry. And, I like the illustrations. But, I wasn't overly moved until I read the author's description. She wrote the book because she knew someone who couldn't afford the yarn for a soft baby blanket and instead had to use a scratchy brown piece of cloth to cover her baby. Sophie's Masterpiece was her way of giving that baby the blanket he should have had, if only in spirit. That choked me up and made me think of the baby boxes that are given to every parent in other countries. Why aren't we doing that? It's a simple way to help a child get off to a good start.
112. They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel - While I don't find this particular suggestion of a "touching children's book" in any way moving, it is definitely unique and fascinating. It shows a cat from different perspectives. Some I don't quite understand, like the fox who sees a long, skinny cat; but, a bird sees the cat from above, a bee sees it as colored dots, a flea sees a bunch of fur and a head far away, a mouse sees a frightening specter that looks devilish and terrifying, all teeth and nails, etc. It's a book about perspective and how we don't always see things the same way. I would recommend it for the thoughts and discussion it can provoke alone, but it's also a Caldecott Medalist, so you can be assured that the illustrations are excellent.
113. The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion, Volume 5 by Beth Brower - I love this series so much. In Volume 5, Emma's cook and housekeeper, Agnes, seeks to become part of a select group of servants but it involves competition and testing and she's very nervous. Cousin Archibald returns, does a lot of snarling, and then is tamed by the idea of tracking the Roman, the local ghost. Two of Emma's gentlemen friends, however, are angered by her decision to track the ghost. And, Emma is not eating much; the males make note of it and Young Hawkes (the clergyman) gives her two gifts that serve as a restorative. Among other events, there is also an exchange of Christmas gifts between Emma and her friends and Jack calls in his second favor. I took this book along when I went for a haircut and my stylist asked if the series is worth reading. I replied with enthusiasm but warned her that it takes time to get to know the cast of characters, so the first book . . . nothing happens, at first; it's a bit dull. She said she'd tried to read the first volume and was bored but she accepted my advice to be patient (I've gotten her hooked on other series books). Hopefully, we'll be talking all things Emma, next time I see her.
114. The Selfish Giant and Other Classic Tales by Oscar Wilde and Nicola Baxter - Continuing my children's book binge with Oscar Wilde's tales, some of them pretty dark but in a way that makes you want to yell at the characters (and kind of laugh at the ridiculousness). A young man goes to pieces when he realizes he doesn't have a red rose in his garden and the young woman he wants to attend a dance with him will only go if he gives her a red rose. This one was kind of awkwardly funny — the melodrama of the young man, the blood sacrifice that comes to nothing when the girl sneers at his rose and says someone else gave her jewels, you peasant, duh, why would I go to the dance with you? In another story, a completely one-sided friendship leads to the death of a man who is way too kind for his own good. And, the tale that was recommended . . . "The Selfish Giant." I agree that it's a moving tale. Children play on the giant's lawn until he returns from a lengthy time away. He drives the children away and builds a fence to keep them out. But, then something causes a change of heart. Awww. It's sweet. I liked that and the last two stories, one about a statue and a bird and the other about a pauper turned king. Morality tales, some with very bold religious themes that may bother some people but I just found them surprising.
115. The Safekeep by Yael Van Der Wouden - Isabel lives alone in the large house her uncle purchased for her family toward the end of WWII, when Amsterdam was being bombed and they wanted to escape to a safer place. Both of her brothers have moved on and her mother has died. Isabel is a terrible person with no friends for very good reason. She has a boyfriend but it's one-sided. In the opening section, there are hints that the house belonged to someone else before the war. I expected the book to be about trauma or guilt or both. Instead, in the second part, brother Louis brings his girlfriend, Eva, to stay with Isabel while he's away on business. Isa is irritated but the next part becomes her sexual awakening (F/F) and it drags on in great detail without advancing the plot much. I almost gave up; I am so not into the spicy bedroom scenes, ever. But, I was well into the story so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. Eva leaves and this is where the story becomes interesting, again. We learn about the house, who it belonged to, and why Eva was really there. Then, the stories converge. A book about love, war, and the continuing abuse of those who were sent to the concentration camps, it reminded me that similar has happened in the US during and after Japanese internment. People trusted to safekeeping were not so scrupulous. The abuse carried on after, but in a different form. Lovely writing and the perspective on war is an unusual one worth ruminating on.
116. The Wanderer by Peter Van Den Ende - This is a weird, wordless wonder, a children's book done entirely with dip pens, India ink, and technical drawing pens. In a fantastical world, two creatures make a folded boat and set it adrift. The boat sails through this strange world, above strange aquatic creatures and around and above ships and submarines, into and out of a cave. It briefly sinks and is restored to the surface. Eventually, it appears to arrive back home. One of the creatures who folded it and set it adrift is there. The kind of book that keeps your eyes moving and sometimes staring in wonder at the detail, which is so finely drawn that even the mere thought of imitation makes my wrist hurt. Gorgeous, stunning, exhaustingly detailed. Sometimes words aren't necessary.
117. Spy x Family, Volume 15 by Tatsuya Endo - Volume 15 of this delightful manga series continues Martha's story about how she returned to Ostania after her entire women's brigade was killed during the war with Westalis. It also has the entire Twilight family attending a fair where Anya gets a free fortune but it turns out the fortune teller is someone special and unfortunately completely talentless at telling fortunes. Damien Desmond is there with his friends and the men who watch over them (I'm assuming they're security guards, although Damien's man advises him on manners) and he continues to bristle at Anya's presence. And, Twilight tries to schmooze with Damien's security to see if he can gather any intel, while Anya thinks to herself that everything is work to that father guy. I gave this one 5 stars. It had a lot of light moments and was one that kept me smiling throughout.
118. Spy x Family, Volume 16 by Tatsuya Endo - Hmm, not a favorite but still fun, this volume of Spy x Family goes into unexpected territory toward the end. But, first, Damien Desmond's mother goes to see Loid in his cover capacity as a psychiatrist at the urging of his fake wife, Yor, and divulges a secret — a very strange secret. Meanwhile, Anya's school has started its new semester and there's a new student who happens to be a prince who takes a liking to Anya, making Damien fight the impulse to be jealous (because he swears he's not interested in Anya, no never, ever). And, the weirdest story is that Yor is called in for a job fighting poachers of elk in the Garden. If the Garden has been mentioned in other volumes (it appears to have been the site of Damien's expedition into the wild in another volume I read recently), I sure don't recall. That part is a bit of a bloodbath and I've found it more difficult to tell what's going on in the action scenes so that's the main reason it's not a favorite. But, they're all fun in some way and I can't recommend this series enough.
119. Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen by Jose Antonio Vargas - This account by an undocumented immigrant turned Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist starts when the author was sent to the U.S. A Filipino by birth, Jose (without an accent) was 12 years old when he went to join his grandparents in California. His mother was to follow shortly but didn't succeed and it took 4 years for Jose to find out that his green card and passport were both fake. With no ID, he couldn't get a driver's license, legally hold a job, and there was no process for him to become an American citizen. He couldn't even return to the Philippines. So, he lied about his status to get jobs. Eventually, the lies caught up with him and he decided his only hope was to confess publicly. A fascinating memoir that explains why it's difficult if not impossible for undocumented immigrants to become citizens and how they pay into our system but can't benefit from the social structures they pay into, a common misconception.
120. Seek Immediate Shelter by Vincent Yu - A book from Former President Obama's summer recommended reading list, a set of interconnected short stories about what happens when an incoming missile warning is sent out in error. As I was opening the book, I glanced over a few reviews and found that some people disliked Seek Immediate Shelter because it's filled with unlikable characters. So I was forewarned and that didn't bother me. Did they overreact out of fear? Some, maybe, but who can say how they'll react when told they may only have minutes to live? I know from a similar mistake that happened in Hawaii that it was very traumatic for a friend who experienced that threat in real life. The author says his book was a "thought experiment" and I thought it was well-written with very human reactions. I enjoyed it; the reactions are nicely diverse.
121. Horrible Histories: Awesome Egyptians by T. Deary, P. Hepplewhite, and M. Brown - The second in the Horrible Histories series goes hard on the pyramids and mummies, describes building practices and meals, levels of caste, various kings and some quirky things they did or believed, hieroglyphics and the paint colors used by Egyptians, and the horrible things that were done to mummies during a time when loads of them were being dug out of their burial spots. Yuck! There's definitely a lot of horrible in this one but it's also got some interesting stories, a word game, theories to ponder, and craft projects. Overall, an enjoyable if frequently queasy-making read.
I had one very surprising DNF, this month, George Saunders' latest: Vigil. I am a George Saunders fangirl and think he's brilliant so I'm still pondering why I couldn't get through Vigil and whether or not to give it a second chance in the future. I enjoyed watching him in conversation at the Mississippi Book Festival. I watched several of the conversations on their live stream. The other two featured Mychal Threets (librarian and the new Reading Rainbow host) and Kate McKinnon.
Apart from the one DNF, I had a great month with a good mix of children's and grown-up novels, some history, a memoir, a sci-fi, a volume of poetry, and several graphic novels. Fun! I liked or loved everything, always the hope. And, I'm very glad that I managed to let go of the one book that just wasn't working for me. That's often quite difficult, especially when reading a favorite author.
The month was otherwise filled with kittens — very badly behaved kittens. They're getting into everything. We originally moved breakables up higher to prevent damage but after a couple of things were broken when the cats (or, at least one of them) jumped higher than anticipated, we've done the opposite and moved things down. Sheesh. We are cleaning surfaces to prevent more things getting knocked off of them, packing some breakables away, and . . . well, we're just exhausted from this, I have to say. But, the kittens are sweet. They're maybe a bit dense and Trouble (capital T intended) but we knew what we were getting into and look forward to when they become lazy cats, which is probably at least two years away. Maybe three. Oof.
I'm not going to add kitten photos, this month, although you can see in the second flatlay that Sir Percy of Marmalade is huge for a 6-month-old kitten. He is a daddy's boy, through and through, while Pippin Henry Nugget, Intrepid Explorer tends to favor his mama. We love all of our kitties. Miss Fiona occasionally would really like them to go away but she still finds them entertaining as long as they don't touch her. Unfortunately, they sometimes pounce on her or play with her tail. Poor girl. I periodically take her into the master bedroom and we hang out together in peace for a couple of hours.
In other bookish news, I worked the library sale and had a blast. Our fees have changed and I'm not sure why; it's a little odd. But, what a delightful bunch of people booklovers are. I always have so much fun when I get to work at the library sale.
How was your month?
©2026 Nancy Horner. All rights reserved. If you are reading this post at a site other than Bookfoolery or its RSS feed, you are reading a stolen feed. Email bookfoolery@gmail.com for written permission to reproduce text or photos.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog! I use comment moderation because apparently my blog is a spam magnet. Don't worry. If you're not a robot, your comment will eventually show up and I will respond, with a few exceptions. If a comment smacks of advertising, contains a dubious link or is offensive, it will be deleted. I love to hear from real people! I'm a really chatty gal and I love your comments!