Thursday, September 07, 2006
RIP Autumn Challenge
I've seen this one all over the place, but I think it was Nat's blog where I saw it first and then Ex Libris wrote about a title I just happened to have on my shelf, so I'm finally up to five titles! Like Nat, I don't usually read spooky, frightening or creepy books. They tend to give me nightmares. So, I've attempted to find titles that I hoped would not spawn a bad night's tossing and turning or a middle-of-the-night cold sweat wakeup call. I'm about to finish the first one, actually. Here are the rules:
Pick out any 5 books that you want to read that you think meet the very open, broad criteria of being scary, eerie, moody, dripping with atmosphere, gothic, unsettling, etc.
Well, that seemed easy enough, when I thought about it. I like ghostly reads. Here's my list:
1. Girlfriend in a Coma - Douglas Coupland (sounded creepy and it has a ghost in it)
2. Now You See It - Richard Matheson
3. Don't Look Now - Daphne du Maurier
4. Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
5. Haunted - Heather Graham (group read; still waiting for my copy to arrive)
Some other possibilities (if I can find them):
1. The House of Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne (somewhere around here, I have my grandmother's copy)
2. A Long Fatal Love Chase - Louisa May Alcott (Wahoo! Found that one!)
3. The House on the Strand - Daphne du Maurier
Unlike a lot of people, I just don't have the guts to attempt In Cold Blood. I don't know who started this one and I'm feeling too lazy to look (plus, my little ticker, here, says I've got 10 minutes left, hurry, hurry). But, thanks to he or she who began this challenge. This is the first bloggy challenge I've joined in on and I'm jazzed.
Gotta go finish the last 10 pages of Girfriend in a Coma!! Pass it on!
Bookfool ready to be Creeped Out