Someone has to lie therein the grass that covers upthe causes and effectswith a cornstalk in his teeth,gawking at clouds.
— from "The End and the Beginning," p. 180
93. Everything is Tuberculosis by John Green - Well-known YA author, vlogger, and all-around smart guy John Green tackles the history of tuberculosis: how long it's been killing people, its cause and effects, what has led to a change of vulnerable populations, how the disease was romanticized and how effects of that romanticization remain in what modern people consider "pretty", what people thought about victims who were extremely productive writers during their short lives, like Keats, how the bacterium and a cure were discovered, and why tuberculosis is a perfect example of inequality, still killing the impoverished long after the discovery of a cure. I read Everything is Tuberculosis because it was the selection for a new book group in my area — at our wonderful library (which is made of stone and has windows overlooking a path into a forest). Discussion was mildly disappointing but I'll give the group a couple more months before deciding whether or not to stick it out. I found the book informative and at times surprising, with Green's trademark light, witty, somewhat self-deprecating humor.
94. Welcome to the Hyunam-Dong Bookshop by Hwang Bo-Reum - Not a brilliantly written book but a relaxing book that follows a bookstore owner for 3 years as she navigates ownership of her business, makes new friends, has philosophical conversations about life, and deals with her past. The story is not plot-driven; it focuses on the characters, their issues, and their interactions, mostly within the store. By the end of the book, things have only changed marginally. If a book that's lacking plot bothers you (often the case for me), you might want to skip this one. For me, it was just good timing because I was going through a terrible bout of insomnia and needed a quiet read.
95. A Shop Girl's Guide to Wooing a Lord by Shana Galen - Tamsin Archer is in dire straits. Her father was killed and then her stepfather died. Her mother had an accident that caused her to lose her employment, and then her brother and sister were stolen and sold to a chimney sweep who is extorting her and her mother while using the children as laborers. Lord Garrett Kildare's family is also in trouble. But, after Garrett bought some flowers from her on a night when her family would have starved if she couldn't sell her flowers, Tamsin has longed for the kind of life he leads and hasn't forgotten his kindness. When they cross paths again, Tamsin and her mother are living above a coffee shop and working for a cruel couple in the shop below. Garrett finds himself enchanted by this lovely, too-thin woman. But, he needs to find and marry an heiress. Meanwhile, Tamsin is just trying to survive and find a way to retrieve her siblings. There's no way they can possibly end up together. But, will love win out over class differences? I adored the characters and loved the story. A Shop Girl's Guide to Wooing a Lord describes grinding poverty in London, giving the story greater depth than one might expect. There are only a couple spicy scenes, easy to skim if that's not your jam. I look forward to continuing the series as the titles are released.
96. Now is Not the Time to Panic by Kevin Wilson - Now is Not the Time to Panic is told from the point of view of Frankie Budge. Frankie has no friends, is writing a novel, is uncomfortable in her own skin, and doesn't like to be touched. When a boy named Zeke shows up at the pool and they start hanging out together, she discovers that kissing is okay and hanging out with a boy is nice but their original plans fall flat and their summer is becoming boring. Then, they come up with an idea. They'll create something that means nothing but appears to. Frankie comes up with the words and Zeke draws the images to go with it. They make copies and paste their poster all over the town of Coalwood, Tennessee. But, what feels like a way to connect with the world creates panic, instead. Years later, a reporter has discovered that Frankie was involved in the making of the poster that created the panic. Will Frankie finally tell the whole truth? I sometimes like "everything spinning out of control" books and sometimes don't. Now is Not the Time to Panic is one of those rare stories that gripped me and I enjoyed the fact that Frankie was looking back to a time when she was uncomfortable in her own skin while realizing that she was fine, now. She had a great life as an adult; everything worked out. But, was it going to stay that way?
97. March Comes in Like a Lion, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino (ebook/Hoopla) - Translated from the Japanese, this manga tells the story of Rei, a 17-year-old orphan who has become a professional shogi player (Japanese chess). When the story opens, you can see that Rei is living alone in an apartment. He's clearly lonely and depressed. He doesn't have any friends apart from three sisters who have befriended him. Gradually, you learn what happened to his family, where he went after their deaths, how he became a shogi pro, what led him to get an apartment, and how he met the sisters. There are also some essays about the game of shogi interspersed throughout the manga, which give you a better understanding of some of the events being illustrated. I learned a lot and felt like this manga has a great storyline and more depth than most of the mangas I've read, so I will continue reading the series. I knew nothing at all about shogi and it was a suggested read on Hoopla or I wouldn't likely have found it.
98. Measuring Up by Lily LaMotte and Ann Xu - A children's graphic novel, Measuring Up tells the story of 12-year-old Cici, a Taiwanese immigrant. Cici is unhappy that her grandmother has to be left behind when her family immigrates to the United States. She makes friends quickly and is determined to find a way to get her grandmother to visit. But, nobody has the money for a ticket. When Cici sees a poster about a children's cooking contest with a cash prize for the winner, she knows she's found the perfect way to earn money for a ticket — if she can win. Determined to win, Cici watches Julia Child videos and practices her cooking. Will Cici succeed? I bought this one for group discussion and enjoyed it. Apart from the fact that it's a bit on the saccharine side, I thought the story was a good one and I loved the theme of working hard, practicing, and having courage and conviction.
99. Olivetti by Allie Millington - I think this is a middle grade book but the subject is a little heavy so I'm not entirely certain. The Brindle family was happy until something bad happened. Now, mother Beatrice has gotten some terrible news, taken her old typewriter to a pawn shop to sell, and disappeared. The 4 Brindle children and their father are shocked. What has become of her? With the help of the pawn shop owner's daughter, who discovers along with the quietest son Ernest that Olivetti is sentient, they begin to unravel the mystery as Olivetti breaks the rules and shares her words. An interesting book. They've been through a dark time and are about to revisit the darkness but the Brindle family is delightful and Ernest is kind of a mess. They're a very believable family and the ending is lovely.
100. Balladz by Sharon Olds - Boy, does this book of poetry have reviews and ratings all over the scale. And, I personally have mixed feelings as there is some truly dark, depressing stuff about SA (she was apparently abused by both parents), growing old, illness, death, mourning, and being beaten and tied to a chair by her mother. But, there are also some interesting moments of light. One of my favorite poems is "Subway Ballad", a poem about the kindness of strangers in the subway. I liked "Not Extinct Yet," about a wasp that flies into a spider's web because it ends on a humorous note. I liked "Quarantine Puzzle," about a bruised thumb particularly for this line: "Had I been rolled in a barrel in the night, without a supervisor?" This refers to her realization that she was bruised in more places than just her thumb. So, while this collection was not a favorite, there were a few poems I would return to and I'm completely befuddled as to how to rate it numerically. Maybe a 3? Average in that there were some poems I liked so it wasn't a complete loss, although overall . . . not for me.
101. March Comes In Like a Lion, Vol. 2 by Chica Umino (ebook/Hoopla) - Still loving this series. In Volume 2, Rei is just not feeling it. He's lost a couple of games and is worried about the possibility of getting a demerit. It's harder to pull yourself out of a bad streak than one might think. He has a tournament with the fellow who calls himself Rei's best friend that's broadcast on TV (an essay within describes the difference between a televised and regular match). That same fellow helps Rei teach the three sisters who've befriended him some basics of shogi and then invites himself over. Then, Rei's sister shows up and also insists on staying for a night. Rei is too quiet to summon the courage to tell them he'd rather be alone. Next is a ranking match. In general, Rei is one messed-up cookie trying to figure out what he wants from life but you gradually see some growth. I particularly liked the quick lesson in shogi, demonstrated with cat illustrations, and the essays that explain the game. You don't have to fully understand them; they just make what's going on a bit clearer. Again, so much depth to this manga but there's humor, too; lots of emotion.
102. Dispatches from Tuscumbia River Bottom by Maxey Phillips - A surprisingly enjoyable find from the library sale, this self-published memoir is the story of a North Mississippi farm boy turned fighter pilot in Vietnam who rose to Brigadier General in the Mississippi National Guard. Maxey Phillips always wanted to fly; his family's small farm was on the flight path and he would think, "I'd rather be up there," while picking cotton. So, he got a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and eventually joined the Air Force. He flew missions in Vietnam and then was stationed in England before realizing his goal to work as a test pilot wasn't achievable, so he went back to school for a second degree while joining the National Guard. Reading Dispatches from Tuscumbia River Bottom is a lot like sitting at the feet of an elderly relative (one with a very sharp memory) who likes to tell stories. Some of them are very exciting — the time he was accidentally ejected from an F4 Phantom fighter jet and a near-death collision with a turkey buzzard are two of his most harrowing stories. Absolutely wonderful glimpses into one man's experiences, told with humility. Like most self-pubs, it could use a bit of tidying but it was actually pretty well edited. I think both of my sons would enjoy this book so it may get passed around.
Click to enbiggen photos. The flatlay . . . ugh, that white book — I want to reach in and fix it. The cats came out to help and shifted it a bit.
Sir Percy helpfully inspected my book stack.
Ahhh, this was a much better reading month. I took a social media break and tried to work on getting to sleep earlier. We're getting into a decent routine with the kittens — although sometimes I have to kick them out of the bedroom at night if they decide to play. And, it was a hot month, good for reading when it was too miserable to move. So, definitely an improvement.
I did discover that I'd dropped the ball and completely forgotten to keep up with the Massachusetts Center for the Book 2026 Reading Challenge. I think I have a sympathetic villain book here, though, so I can do May's selection in September, in addition to the regular monthly prompt. And, while I didn't read any used books (books found at a used bookstore, Little Free Library, or tag sale) in July, three of this month's books were bought secondhand so I think any one of them works. August's prompt is "a book that could be considered taboo" and The Color Purple definitely works as it's been banned all over the place for years.
The usual happened: I liked or loved everything I read. I did ditch one book, Dungeon Crawler Carl. I liked what little I read and yet didn't feel like picking it back up after I set it down when I finished the first night's reading. I'll probably just give the book to my youngest son rather than making a second attempt. It's his kind of book and if I change my mind it's available on Hoopla.
There were several books I had trouble putting down, this month. Among them, my favorites are probably The Color Purple and Now is Not the Time to Panic. I also really found A Shop Girl's Guide to Wooing a Lord, Ghost Station, and Welcome to the Hyunam-Dong Bookshop hard to put down, although the latter two weren't top favorites. I loved the two mangas, March Comes In Like a Lion, Volumes 1 and 2. And, while I had mixed feelings about Olivetti, I wasn't willing to stop once I got going and loved the idea of a sentient typewriter. I also absolutely had to know what happened to the missing mother and why she left. View with a Grain of Sand ended up in my keeper poetry pile but Balladz will probably not.
Maybe the seeming success of this month had to do with the fact that I've had a couple not-up-to-standard reading months and just felt like immersing myself in books. Avoiding social media is probably the biggest factor, though. And, it doesn't hurt that the cats now have a routine that we can rely on. At any rate, it was a good month with quite a few books read specifically for discussion, a decent amount of variety, and the discovery of an outstanding classic.
On to September and an exciting new success. I'm reading an audiobook without falling asleep! Tune in next month to find out which book finally broke the spell.
©2026 Nancy Horner. All rights reserved. If you are reading this post at a site other than Bookfoolery or its RSS feed, you are reading a stolen feed. Email bookfoolery@gmail.com for written permission to reproduce text or photos.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog! I use comment moderation because apparently my blog is a spam magnet. Don't worry. If you're not a robot, your comment will eventually show up and I will respond, with a few exceptions. If a comment smacks of advertising, contains a dubious link or is offensive, it will be deleted. I love to hear from real people! I'm a really chatty gal and I love your comments!