Top to bottom:
- Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
- The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe
- Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
- Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
- Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch
And, while I was gathering books, I figured I might as well gather a few I've found a little weird (or that others might find odd):
Top to bottom:
- Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote - Just finished this, a few days ago. I mentioned the fact that someone in my F2F group called it "weird" so it might qualify. Boy, was she right. If only for the characterization, Other Voices, Other Rooms falls into the weird category.
- The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami - Most of the books I've read by Murakami have been either his short story collections or nonfiction, so I haven't fallen down the rabbit hole with him very often. But, The Strange Library is so mindbending I didn't know quite what to make of it and asked for help figuring out what on earth it was about.
- Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi - It's been a while since I read Agent to the Stars but I recall an alien who had a body made of something akin to orange jell-o. Yeah, it's weird. Good weird, though. It's one of my favorite Scalzi books and surprisingly meaningful.
- Harriet Wolf's Seventh Book of Wonders by Julianna Baggott - I read somewhere that this one's gone through a name change for the paperback release -- now just "The Seventh Book of Wonders", I think. The history upon which it's based is fascinating but . . . yeah . . . it's a weird one.
I liked all four of my weird suggestions, in case you were wondering.
©2016 Nancy Horner. All rights reserved. If you are reading this post at a site other than Bookfoolery or its RSS feed, you are reading a stolen feed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for written permission to reproduce text or photos.
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog! I use comment moderation because apparently my blog is a spam magnet. Don't worry. If you're not a robot, your comment will eventually show up and I will respond, with a few exceptions. If a comment smacks of advertising, contains a dubious link or is offensive, it will be deleted. I love to hear from real people! I'm a really chatty gal and I love your comments!