Because I need a break from wrapping up presents to pop in the mail, tomorrow, here are your (ta-da!)
Chunkster Challenge Guidelines
1. Time period: The Chunkster Challenge will run from Jan1, 2007 - June 30, 2007.
2. How fat must a "chunkster" be? Anything that makes you say, "Whoa! That's freakin' intimidating!" But, my personal opinion of what constitutes a chunkster is anything over 400 pages.
3. How many books do I have to read? Here, again, I'm going to be extremely flexible because some of you have busier lives, read slower, or are just too terrified to shoot too high and I think that's fine. If you only want to challenge yourself to read one, so be it. So, the official answer is however many you choose.
4. Do I have to choose specific titles? You can either choose specific titles that you want to read during the 6-month challenge OR you may list a pile from which you hope to read a specific number. Please include what you intend to read in a post at your blog site, when you sign up. You know, just to make it look official. You can link back to this post to be kind to other people, but it's not a requirement.
5. Why are you making this so ridiculously flexible, you foolish woman? Because I'm not very good at choosing titles and sticking to them. Let's face it, people, Bookfool is one flighty chick. So, I'm going to have a pile from which I plan to attempt a certain number, myself.
6. Will there be prizes? Glory? Little angels making joyful noises when I finish? Whoa! Angels? Okay, yes, there will be some prizes because I like giving things away. I'm probably not as good at choosing prizes as Santa, but I'll do my darnedest and I plan to hold two drawings - the first will be for a tote bag to carry your chunksters around, on January 8, and the final drawing at completion of the challenge will probably be really cool but I'm not sure what's in it, yet. Glory? Well, you'll get your name on a list if you succeed. Little angels singing? 'Fraid not. Unless I'm missing something. Prizes will be random. Randomness is the way life goes, after all. Guess I need to locate a hat to draw names from.
7. How do I sign up? Post a comment to this little guideline post--be sure to include your name and blog site-- by January 7. Please do me the kindness of writing out the URL to your blog site, as I'm still having a great deal of difficulty loading pages since setting up a new computer (I have a lousy connection, anyway). You can call yourself by your iconic name - like Bookcrazy or Booknut or whatever, rather than a real name. I don't mind that a bit. But, if you win a prize I'll kind of need to know who you really are and where, because the postman doesn't like me to address things thusly: "Booknut, Somewhere in North America or on one of those other continents". For some reason, that just doesn't work. I will leave you a no-stalking promise, which means I won't share your personal info with anyone.
8. What if I don't know how to copy that button thing and put it on my blog site? Then, you and I probably have something in common. I'm working on how to put the button in my side column and link to my own post. The button isn't crucial, but it's really cute, isn't it? Carrie at Overdue Books created the button. You have my permission to call her nice names and shower her with gifts for being a kind soul.
9. Should I tell you every time I finish a book on my challenge list? No. Please wait till June to inform me of your success and at that time I'll compile a list of those who finished and the titles they read.
If I've forgotten anything, please feel free to say so. If the comment list gets overwhelming, I'll wave and tell you I'm drowning. This will require at least one of you to send me an alpha male to rescue me. Hahaha.